The Twelve trees of Christmas
Tree Three - Traditional Trees
Wool felt 20cm x 30cm
86 buttons various sizes <1.4 cm
Thread for sewing on buttons (I used DMC stranded embroidery thread)
DMC stranded embroidery thread to match wool felt for stitching tree together
Ornament for top of tree
Tree stand – 6.5cm x 6.5cm x1.8cm, 1cm dowel x 15cm (Trunk)
*Alternatively, you can hang tree by braid or cord if you are unable to make tree stand.
1.Select felt colour
(*hint- I always set my wool felt with the wool steam setting on my iron).
3. Layout buttons approximately where you want them to check size of buttons and design. I did rough layout then randomly sewed them on.
4. Sew buttons on to each of the tree pieces. 2nd image shows reverse of tree.
5. Sew both sides of tree together by hand with whip stitch. Using 3 stands of DMC embroidery thread, leaving an opening of 5cm at the centre bottom of tree, this is so you can stuff it.
* If you are hanging the tree, you will need to sew braid or cord in seam at the apex of tree now as you whip stitch side seams.
6. Stuff tree beginning at top of tree, stuffing small amounts at a time, stuff each branch before stuffing body of tree. Using chop stick or wooden knitting needle gently locate stuffing. Do not over stuff as you well not be able to get stand into tree.
7. Gently wiggle stuffed tree onto stand, stitch bottom of tree closed around stand.
8. Attach ornament to top of tree.