The Twelve trees of Christmas
Tree Seven - Bright & Bold
Wool felt 20cm x 30cm
6 assorted metallic embroidery machine threads, bottom line or similar for bobbin thread.
DMC stranded embroidery thread to match wool felt for stitching tree together
Ornament for top of tree
Tree stand – 6.5cm x 6.5cm x1.8cm, 1cm dowel x 15cm (Trunk)
*Alternatively, you can hang tree by braid or cord if you are unable to make tree stand.
1.Select felt colour
(*hint- I always set my wool felt with the wool steam setting on my iron).
3. Sample the embroidery stitch you want to use. I did not use tear away, because the wool felt was thick enough and didn’t need it on my machine.
4. Start by randomly spacing stitching crosses in 1st colour on each tree piece, and then build up with more with each subsequent colour.
5. Sew both sides of tree together by hand with whip stitch. Using 3 stands of DMC embroidery thread, leaving an opening of 5cm at the centre bottom of tree, this is so you can stuff it.
* If you are hanging the tree, you will need to sew braid or cord in seam at the apex of tree now as you whip stitch side seams.
- Stuff tree beginning at top of tree, stuffing small amounts at a time, stuff each branch before stuffing body of tree. Using chop stick or wooden knitting needle gently locate stuffing. Do not over stuff as you well not be able to get stand into tree.
- Gently wiggle stuffed tree onto stand, stitch bottom of tree closed around stand.
- Attach ornament to top of tree.